Went for a wake last night. Came back very tired, that's why no blog. Being at the wake of my old friend's grandma brought back fond memories. This 2 friends whom I was with last night were the same ones I was hanging out with back when I was 16. That was also the year whereby my grandma died.
Seems like all old people have the same kind of behavior when they are going to leave this world. When they are in hospital, and doctors predict they will die within this day or that. Relatives and close friends start streaming into the hospital to pay their last respects (though with SARS, I don't know if this can still be done). But guess what, the patient survives, pulls through the whole time. Family decides to bring the patient home as it will be more comfortable for them.
At home, everyone fusses over the patient. When it seems like she is going to die, chaos reigns. Phonecalls are made from the house phone, mum's handphone, dad's handphone, everybody's handphone. All relatives arrive, skipping work and school. Gathering around the old folk, holding their hands, helping to close the eyes, saying things like 'Don't worry, we'll take care of ourselves, just leave with a carefree heart" NO... Again, the old folk doesn't die.
Finally, after she has said goodbye to all the people she wants to see, passed all the messages she wanted to the relevant people, on a day where few people are around her, she leaves this world silently.
That was how my grandma lived her last 2 months plus. She managed to pull through, talk to all her children and grandchildren, see all her old friends, neighbor's, and relatives. On the day where she died, it was the day where we sent her back to her own house. Cause all the time she was living in my house. Only after she was in her own 'territory' did she pass away peacefully.
Maybe we are really able to 'control' the time where we will die. Not really control as in 'oh, this time, this day'. But as in when you are at a place that holds no meaning, no memories, you will yourself not to die as yet. That's why doctors always say 'This person has very strong will-power to live on'. But of cause, this is only applicable when the person is like suffering from sickness. For those who die from heart attack, car accidents or something similar, I guess they don't really have a chance to see everyone they want to.
When the day comes for me to go, will I die like my grandma? Peacefully and in my sleep after seeing everyone I love. Or will I die in a freak accident, all alone, lying in a mangle on the road. Life really is very unpredictable. Treasure all that we have. Cause you never know when you will lose it all.
Cheers!
Wednesday, July 14, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment